Roberts Ranch, California
Property Types: Vacant Land, Farms, Ranches, Waterfront
Activities & Amenities
The Historic Roberts Ranch, an enhanced habitat on the North West shores of Roberts Reservoir, extends approximately 2.5 miles north to the Modoc National Forest. Offering 2,358 deeded acres with eight contiguous parcels and a non contiguous 40 acre parcel with 1300 ft. of waterfront. In addition, the ranch has 900 acres of leased BLM land for a total of 3,250 acres.
- The access to the ranch is direct off county road 91, just North of Lookout, yet once into the ranch, you have complete privacy.
- Roberts Ranch remained in the Roberts family for over 110 years, developing the reservoir, which was named after the family upon it's completion in 1901. The Roberts family largely used the ranch as a cattle operation.
- The current owner purchased the ranch in 2007. Appreciating it for its rugged natural undeveloped beauty, it was placed into a PLM program for wildlife habitat development.
- Since then, numerous projects for spring enhancement, water retention and land development have taken place creating a sanctuary for migratory waterfowl, mule deer, antelope, wintering elk and the occasional bear. Bald eagles, golden eagles as well as predatory mammals are also seen on the ranch.
- Annual reviews have been performed by Division of Wildlife biologists to develop this property. As a result of this work, the owners have received licenses/permits to harvest buck antelope and mule deer, with extended hunting times through November. The PLM program was not renewed for 2020, but the new owner could apply for future involvement.
- The ranch is largely dominated by wild grass meadows, juniper, a large stand of pine, as well as sagebrush and bitterbrush.
- The Western half of the ranch is characterized by an extensive linear wet meadow complex which lies in the Roberts Reservoir drainage system. Approximately 320 aces becomes a wetland as winter precipitation creates runoff from higher elevations, forming Upper Roberts Reservoir drainage which courses thru the property.
- Additionally, two check dams in this basin hold a capacity of 50 acre feet of water through the summer months.
- There are several developed springs plus riparian rights to Hines Reservoir located on the North East corner, of about 70 surface acres at maximum capacity.
- The BLM lands under lease are largely comprised of Roberts Reservoir which totals 345 surface acres and is a year round reservoir. The yearly grazing permit is for 50 AUM during the regular BLM permit season. This low number ensures that the ranch is under grazed at all times.
- The ranch has been surveyed on the North, West and Eastern boundaries and is fenced at the perimeter and through the interior, but the BLM land is not separately fenced off.
- Rarely does a property with this many contiguous acres become available. Roberts Ranch has only had two owners in over a hundred years.
- The ranch can be used as a cattle/hunting operation. Or, due to the eight parcels, could be developed into smaller ranch parcels.
- The separate 40 acres on year round Roberts Reservoir is also accessed off the county road, and is located on a knoll overlooking the valley and reservoir. This location would be perfect for a cabin retreat or permanent home site.
- There are no permanent structures on Roberts Ranch which provides a clean palate for the next owner.